Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Odds and Ends Make the Best Muffins Ever.

So... I'm moving. I'm not entirely sure where I'm moving to, which means that I'm moving out of my apartment in the Heights and going nomadic for a month or so, and then hopefully moving to another apartment in the Heights. Keyfood came in handy today- I got a bunch of empty boxes and am currently sitting on the floor amongst Bisli, Herrs, Gatorade and Oreos boxes. I am temporarily chastened for the rallying I do against these foodstuffs, as they provide sturdy packing materials. (Also- patting myself of the back for ingenuity- I gouged out handles on the sides of the boxes so that I can carry them! Why didn't I think of this one of the other five thousand times that I've moved??)

Moving also means that I have to empty out my fridge. I haven't been around my apartment much this summer- I'm away every weekend and last week I had a friend from Israel with me so we ate out for every meal (except when we made shakshuka! I should post on shakshuka!). Still, though, I had little bits of food that I wanted to get rid of. And since I can't waste anything, I decided to make muffins!

Let's just call them Odds and Ends Muffins. You cannot mess them up. The following is merely a record of what I did- you can play with these however you want to. I'd recommend sticking with the basic proportions (2 eggs: 1.5 tsp baking soda: 1.5 cups flour, etc) but then make a mess of it!
(JTUU= just to use up, don't really need it!)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
Tsp of honey (JTUU)
1/4 cup almond milk (JTUU but maybe helped to make the muffins fluffier?)
1 Tbsp wheat germ (JTUU)
3/4 cup coconut pulp (AHA! Knew I'd find a way to use it!)
2 mashed bananas (I peeled, cut into chunks and froze these months ago- I let them partially defrost while I put in the other ingredients)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 carrots, peeled and grated
Handful of dry, chopped dates (months old)
Handful of chocolate chips
Handful of chopped pecans
Dash salt
Dash (multiple dashes) cinnamon
Dash ginger

Mix everything together! The picture is not great, but this is a pretty cool looking batter!



Spoon the batter into greased or lined muffin tins. There was exactly enough batter for two trays, which made my day. It's the small pleasures...



Let bake for 25-30 min (this is when I went to get my boxes), then let cool for another few before eating. I find that muffins are best when eaten at room temperature but that's just me.



Over the course of the next few hours, as I lazily packed (ie- flipped through old pictures, bank statements and newspapers, puzzled over my insurance information (I think I get it)) and got a little nostalgic about my year spent in apartment 5E, I ate three of these muffins.

1 comment:

  1. Just the recipe I was looking for! Unless you have a better recipe for zucchini muffins. Look for me to quote your blog on my blog in the next couple days. I bought muffin "tins" (silicon, actually...I hope) to make cup cakes. And my husband said, ew, are you going to make muffins!? And then I saw the zucchini inards from my stuffed zucchini... and now at 12:30am I remembered seeing a muffin recipe (or two) on your blog. So hopefully my zucchini is still viable and I'm going to use the unsweetened cranberries I got in the shuk this evening. What's your opinion on shredding a carrot in there, too? Do you think the cranberries will be right, or should I stick to raisens? I have black and golden.

    ReplyDelete